Developing healthy eating habits, being physically active and maintaining a healthy weight will assist in reducing the risk of heart disease, obesity, osteoporosis and type 2 diabetes.
Consuming a wide range of nutritious foods every day like vegetables; legumes; fruits; breads and cereals; lean meat, fish, poultry or meat alternatives; milk products; and water is essential to good health.
Some points to remember
- Enjoy a wide variety of nutritious foods
- Eat plenty of vegetables, legumes and fruits
- Eat plenty of cereals (including breads, rice, pasta and noodles), preferably wholegrain
- Include lean meat, fish, poultry and/or alternatives
- Include milks, yoghurts, cheeses and/or alternatives.
- Drink plenty of water
- Limit saturated fat and moderate total fat intake
- Choose foods low in salt
- Consume only moderate amounts of sugars and foods containing added sugars