Effluents dumped into water bodies cause surface and groundwater pollution, which endangers biodiversity, the health of the people and other ecosystems. The value of chemical oxygen demand (COD) for NEQS is 150 mg/l for wastewater whereas Nestlé is treating its wastewater with great efficiency resulting in COD of just 70mg/l.
Environmentally Responsible Distribution
For efficient and environmentally responsible distribution Nestlé optimises route planning across all our operations. We are delivering more volume with less kilometres travelled. We have taken the following steps to ensure environment friendly operations:
- Optimising vehicle capacity utilisation
- Route optimisation
- Phasing out HFCs appliances and applying efficient natural refrigerant is another strategy for eco efficient distribution.
- By introducing multi-drop and cross dock model.
- Use of bigger capacity vehicles i.e. 40ft, 50ft and double decker Eco Liners
- By applying LTT (Logistic Trade Term) in South Zone – Elimination of 6 Wheeler (smaller capacity vehicles) and increasing bigger sized vehicle.
Being aware of the environmental impact, Nestlé Pakistan continues to work on reducing and improving its packaging materials. This not only helps in the reduction of our environmental footprint but also helps to improve cost effectiveness, resulting in benefit for consumers.